Saturday, April 4, 2015

4 Chalk Painting Steps to achieve the Chunky Chipped off Look aka Layering Technique

Are you having trouble obtaining that beautiful old worn  and chipped off paint look?  Ah, yes the layered look of chalk painting, also called the CHUNKY look or Chipped off paint look. it's one of my favorites if done correctly but in my opinion one of the hardest to achieve. but don't let me scare you away buy saying that its still not hard to achieve it and you don't have to be a chalk paint pro to do so. just a little practice and you will get it. 


Layering Chalk Pained
Yeah I know it looks easy but you have to really learn how to be creative and visualize when layering chalk paint. You will need several contrasting chalk paint colors when you have made your decision that layering is what you are going for. You may also need scraper, sandpaper, and a putty knife, depending on what you're going for and what level of a painter you are.

Why use so many colors? 

In order to create a finish that looks like ones you see on antiques and vintage furniture, you must create a depth and texture that extremely hard with one color of paint. If you look closely at the picture above, which I got off of pinterest , you can really see the layers of paint. You will see several Annie Sloan colors that contribute to the depth.  It looks like it has been hand painted many times and over the years and through use and age the paint has been worn off in various areas. Its lack of uniformity and imperfectness give it character. Combining various shades and tints in layers allows you to create a vintage looking finish.

So FIrst things first,


  1. I always just start painting with all of my chalk paint color choices in no set order. I  just paint a little here a little there and then some on top of each other. ( after the first coat is dry) Remember no certain pattern. 
  2. Then I start a little dry brushing here and there with all the colors. You at least want 3, really more if you really want  that depth.
  3. after you are happy with your colors apply a crackle medium. Cut in the edges and roll on the crackle finish.  FOr small cracks use a sponge for larger backs use a thick paint brush. Allow the crackle finish to dry (read the manufacturer's directions for drying time and any additional instructions or recommendations.)
  4. I normally use dark wax on my layered pieces it just gives even more depth in the corners and rough edges. 
Layered Chalk Paint

I wil have to look for more pictures of my layers pieces. 

More pics




This is what I love so much about chalk paint and painting furniture. you can create some amazing pieces.




  Visit Something to Chalk About Brooke Dowdy's profile on Pinterest.



No comments:

Post a Comment