Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Chalk Paint, How To: Dry Brush Technique and Tutorial

Chalk paint tutorial hopefully will help you start your new chalk paint project, and, well since I'm new to the blogging world you probably don't know much about me yet but one thing you will soon learn is, how much I love French Provincial Furniture or any french furniture. I love chalk painted french pieces especially when they have a lot of detail and you can use dark waxes. My favorite style is Shabby Chic. I am in the process of chalk painting my new French Provincial bedroom suite I bought at an estate sale in my town.  I share with you the steps I took to paint my dresser.
 
      My before pic. I forgot to take one before I started...Oops
    I removed the hardware and started with Coco as my base coat
 I did 3 coats on the drawers. I normally use only 2 but I thought
 it needed a 3rd



I chose Annie Sloan Chalk Paint for this project. Color Coco and Country Grey

Let me explain a little about the dry bush technique when you are chalk painting. To start off you dab a thick bristled paint brush in the chalk paint just to get it on the very tips of the brush. Next you take a paper plate, or at least that is what i use. Then you brush it off on the paper plate so that the paint is all off of the bristles. Then you take and lightly stroke over the area you are wanting the chalk paint to have the dry brush look. The corners and naturally damaged areas I usually dry brush a little heavier. Playing with the different colors of chalk paint will really help you learn where the dry brushing looks good and where you can make it heavier and more distressed looking. Its all your choice.  thats what I LOVE about chalk paint. You can do so many things with it.
Now the more you do this dry brush technique the more you will get comfortable with the dry brushing. It does not take long to learn so practice and get comfy with it. You will get the hang of it very quickly.

See more about dry brushing http://somethingtochalkabout.blogspot.com/2015/04/diy-chalk-finish-paint.html
See my layering techniques page. http://somethingtochalkabout.blogspot.com/p/why-use-so-many-colors-to-paint-white.html
or my Pinterest board Chalk paint tutorials https://www.pinterest.com/brookelynpd/chalkpaint-titorials/


 
Then i finished the base of the dresser 
dry brushed it,

Her is the finished piece! Beautiful


I will add more later of the whole bedroom which is being
completely redecorated.

</td>

2 comments:

  1. beautiful work, I think you have some some work for my friend who owns Baylee and Beookes Boutique. Www.brookedowdy@myshopify.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. www.brookedowdy.myshopify.com I had that wrong above.

    ReplyDelete