Tuesday, April 21, 2015

How to Start your Chalk Painting Project

Pick your furnishings piece:



For one of my 1st Chalk Paint venture, I selected to accent table  from my in-laws that we've been utilizing as a Hot Drinks Station. A number of you Thinking Closet veterans might would use a  Hot Drinks Station in your traveller room; but within the course of recent years, it's recently been a considerable addition to the indoor porch area. So I simply will get my hot beverages on, while enjoying the new morning view.


Pick and created an ideal space to paint your piece :

Things I would consider when choosing where to paint especially if you don't have a studio:

• Temperature: room temperature is the best however everyone can not paint inside there home, so I suggest in a shop, garage or covered space that is at least warmer than 40 degree but no hotter than 80. sometimes you don't have a choice nut that is my preferred temp for painting chalk paint.

• Ventilation: within the event that you simply are in a very very little space, verify you have got windows and fans to assist moving  the air through the room. The drying time some people suggest  o keep the fans off whereas to painting. However, I am not going to lie, there is always a blow dryer to the right of me when I am chalk painting furniture. I will use it on larger pieces and to get the drying process started. I would like to mention, Annie Sloan Chalk Paint and Maison Blanche, my preferred brands, are not dangerous, are low scent, and has low VOCs, therefore you do not need to stress over solid exhaust.
BUT PLEASE NOTE MOST HOMEMADE CHALK PAINTS ARE OR CAN BE TOXIC. Especially if made with Plasters. There are recipes you can find they says are non-toxic, organic, etc. I have never used any though.

• Lighting operating in regular light is perfect… Although,some of my artistic production ventures can most likely last into the night. Thus, bring further lights into the space if necessary.

• Protecting the floor: I would used painter's tape to tape down some cocoa manufacturer's paper onto a vicinity of the lounge floor, therefore i would not got to stress over paint trickles.
 

Prepare and clean your furnishings piece.


These are steps I consider when chalk painting any furnishings.

• Remove any removable parts like knobs, pulls, hedges, racks, drawers, etc.

• Run your around the piece to find any harsh patches that you may  want to sand. However the imperfections are my favorite part.  (yet you do not have to sand the total piece when using Chalk Paint)

• Remove any sticky gook with cleaner and water, or one of my most admired things, Goo Gone.

• Fill any openings with wood paste if you choose.

• Even if your furnishings piece has all the earmarks of being clean, clean the oils from hands also.  I simply used a delicate dish soap, and then with a final go of water. After that merely allow adequate dry time before applying your 1st layer of paint.

• Edge off any segments that will not be painted utilizing painter's tape (like drawers or moldings).

Apply your 1st layer of Chalk Paint:

Verify your instrumentation of paint is nicely mixed. If you will set it upside down a few minutes before or while prepping your piece and then use a wood paint stirrer. Ready to apply… I begin applying the paint and spreading and using long brush strokes then I move to the new section . once first coat is applied and dry i begin the 2nd coat. the first coat will look as if is not covering well but don't worry at all you will be amazing after the 2nd. If you choose to use a3rd then you may do so but I usually stick with 2 unless a aim layering and that's totally different. Remember long straight brush strokes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment